Academy of Management Learning & Education
Research and Reviews Submissions Should
- Be quantitative or qualitative empirical manuscripts, or conceptual research, or literature reviews
- Be focused on management learning and education and/or the business of business schools
- Consider prior literature, relevant theoretical perspectives, and make a contribution to theoretical debate
- Have practical as well as theoretical implications
Essay Submissions Should
- Be provocative manuscripts on current and future issues and trends in teaching, learning, and management education
- Be original commentaries or critiques, and must not be narrative accounts of author experiences with specific instructional technologies, techniques, courses, or program creation
Authors are encouraged to explore ideas for essay manuscripts with the section editor:Dirk Lindebaum, Associate Editor
Dialogues Submissions Should
- Be original commentaries or critiques of Exemplary Contributions, Research & Reviews, or Essays published in AMLE
- Broadly advance the state of scholarship in the area of the target paper, as opposed to being primarily critiques of the reasoning or methodology of the target paper (authors of the target paper are not generally permitted to respond to a Dialogue, unless the Editor and relevant Associate Editors deem that such a response could add significant value)
Before developing a dialogue manuscript, prospective authors must consult with the Editor to ensure that their topic and approach is consistent with AMLE's mission and audience:Paul Hibbert, Editor
Exemplary Contributions Should
- Be written by prominent scholars or practitioners
- Be specifically invited by the Editor, and not unsolicited
Suggestions of individuals who have made significant contributions to management learning and education may be sent to:
Book and Resource Reviews Should
- Focus on materials that can be used by management educators, practitioners, and researchers
- Include resources drawn from across the disciplines
- Be invited by the section editor (unsolicited reviews will not be accepted)
Readers interested in writing reviews and those who have suggestions of materials for review should contact:
Megan Gerhardt, Associate Editor
The editor will screen all manuscripts submitted to the Research and Reviews, Essays, and Dialogues sections. In some cases, a manuscript may be returned without peer review if it is judged to be inappropriate for publication in AMLE. Manuscripts that are deficient in grammar, spelling, and punctuation also may be returned without review.
Manuscripts judged to be consistent with the mission and standards of AMLE will be submitted for double-blind review to at least two referees as dictated by content. At least one referee is usually an Editorial Board member. Submitting authors can expect to receive first-round feedback via email in approximately 75 days, moderated by the editor or an associate editor.
Manuscripts will be evaluated by referees on the following criteria (criteria will be selectively applied, based on the nature and type of the manuscript):
- Originality and importance of core ideas
- Quality of treatment of the relevant existing literature
- Quality of the presentation of ideas
- Design and execution of research methodology (if appropriate)
- Overall contribution of the article to the advancement of management education
Authors are encouraged to solicit feedback from colleagues on early drafts. A manuscript can be improved dramatically when knowledgeable reviewers are asked for reactions in advance of submission. Manuscripts are considered with the understanding that their contents have not been published and are not under consideration elsewhere. Presentation of a paper at a professional meeting does not disqualify it from consideration.
Submission of a manuscript to AMLE also carries an implicit quid pro quo: willingness to review for AMLE. The cornerstone of the editorial process at AMLE is the willingness of colleagues to provide each other feedback through peer review. Authors who submit manuscripts to AMLE for review are expected to reciprocate by reviewing for AMLE if called upon to do so.
Directions for Users with an Account
Go to the Manuscript Central Website at http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/AMLE and log in. At the Welcome Page, go to Author Center. On the right-hand side of the page, you will see Author Resources. Click below to submit a new document.
This is a six-step process.
- Type, title & abstract
- Document Type: From the drop-down menu, select type of document.
- Insert title.
- Insert abstract (if you are submitting a proposal, insert a brief description about your proposal).
- Keyword: We require that you submit three keywords for each document you are submitting. From the drop-down menu of keywords, select a keyword, then click Add.
- Authors & institutions
- This page allows you to add additional authors.
- Details & comments
- Answer all questions on this page. Please note that you should include any acknowledgements in the Cover Letter section. All author identifiers must be removed from your work prior to submission. Refer to submission requirements for details.
- File upload
- Please note that File Designation is a drop down list and refers to the type of document that the author is uploading: cover letter, main document, supplementary file for review (which can be viewed by editors and reviewers), or supplementary file not for review (for the editor's eyes only).
- Review & submit
- This page allows you to review your entire application and make any necessary changes before submitting.
If you need assistance uploading your paper, please contact the ScholarOne helpline on weekdays (Monday - Friday)between 2400 - 2030 EST (UTC - 5) at 1-434-964-4100 or 1-888-503-1050 (US). You may also email them at: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their website.
Directions for New Users
Go to the Manuscript Central Website at http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/AMLE. On the right-hand side, you will see a box that says New User? Click on "Register here."
Registering is a three-step process.
- Email and name: Enter salutation, name, and email address
- Address: Enter mailing address
- User ID & password: Here, you must create a password.
- Keyword: We require that you submit three keywords for each document you are submitting. From the drop-down menu of keywords,select a keyword, then click Add
- Unavailable dates: This is only for reviewers. Please leave blank.
- Signature: Insert your name and title.
- Browse: This should be left blank; you will upload your document later.
If you need assistance uploading your paper, please contact the ScholarOne helpline on weekdays (Monday - Friday) between 2400 - 2030 EST (UTC - 5) at 1-434-964-4100 or 1-888-503-1050 (US). You may also email them at: email@example.com or visit their website,