First Time Attendees
The Annual Meeting is an exciting event full of opportunities to learn from colleagues, share knowledge, and network with peers. View the tips below to help you plan and get the most out of your first Annual Meeting experience.
The Top 3 Things to Do After You Register
If you've already registered for the Annual Meeting and you plan to attend in-person, follow the tips below to get your travel preparations underway.
- Book your hotel! Maximize your time and stay at or near a hotel where your Division or Interest Group sessions are held. For more information on making a reservation and DIG session locations, visit the AOM Hotel Accommodations page. Hotel room blocks book quickly, so book soon!
- Book your travel! In anticipation of your trip to Seattle, make you arrangements early!
- Connect with your DIG Community! Stay up-to-date on your DIG's newsletters and emails, which offer important Annual Meeting information and activities.
Are you a student member? Your division is likely offering student consortium Professional Development Workshops (PDWs) that are geared towards you and your interests! Stay connected so you can enroll when the program(s) open.
Planning Your Agenda
There are nearly 2,000 sessions on the AOM 2022 Program. Planning your agenda ahead of time will help you get the most out of your first Annual Meeting. Pre-planning is a must. Use the following tips to help you optimize your agenda and keep your first Annual Meeting frustration-free!
- Identify your goals. Create your customized agenda via the Annual Meeting Program (opening in early June-check your email for an announcement). With the high level of sessions offered, we recommend focusing on your primary Divisions or Interest Groups first to avoid overscheduling.
- Prepare for Professional Development Workshops (PDWs). Select PDWs may require a separate registration due to space limitations or pre-work assignments. Be sure to read all of the session details in the Program to determine whether a PDW requires an additional registration. Sessions like doctoral and faculty consortiums are often full-day events that require separate registration and fill up quickly, so sign up early once the Program opens.
- If you're a student, join the New Doctoral Student Consortium (NDSC) Community on Connect@AOM to learn about their full-day workshop. DIGs advertise their individual student consortiums prior to program availability, so be sure to review your DIG communications carefully.
- DIG's Socials and Welcome Events are also listed on the program. These events are held specifically to welcome you and help you begin building your network within the Academy of Management. Take advantage of these opportunities to meet others from your DIGs!
- Schedule some down-time in your agenda! Be sure to take some time to enjoy Seattle and take a break from your busy session schedule.
What to Pack
As you prepare to head to Seattle, review our top picks for what to bring to your first Annual Meeting:
- Business casual attire is both accepted and preferred. You'll want to be comfortable while attending sessions during the day.
- Walking shoes. With sessions across different properties, you'll want to make moving from place to place as easy as possible.
- Jacket or sweater. Indoor meeting spaces are air conditioned. An extra layer helps.
Daily Carry Items
Items like granola bars or pretzels, mints, and a water bottle are helpful during busy conference days.
Leave extra space in your luggage for take-home materials and souvenirs - especially promotional items, reference books, and giveaways you pick up in the Exhibit Hall!
Heading to Seattle
As you make your final preparations to arrive in Seattle, cross these items off your list:
Before You Leave
Download the Annual Meeting mobile app before you go. The app will help you create a personalized meeting experience, view the agenda, and even allow you to participate in virtual sessions on the Annual Meeting platform. You'll get an email to let you know when the app is available.
Get your bearings. Review the Academy of Management's Seattle Travel page for tips on where to go, what to do, and how to get around. Be sure to pick up an area map when you arrive.
When You Arrive
- Check in. Self-service check-in kiosks are available at the AOM hotels and Seattle Convention Center locations. Retrieve your name badge and conference materials while avoiding lines and crowds at the in-person check-in booth.
- Get connected. Wi-Fi connections are available throughout the meeting properties. Internet Cafes with laptops are also available. Power up your devices and get connected so you don't miss anything!
- Visit the AOM Information Booth. Get answers to your questions and guidance on how to navigate the properties and program.
- Tune in. Get up-to-the-minute information from AOM's social media channels using hashtag #AOM2022. Spread the word about the meeting, connect with other attendees, and share photos!
New Attendee Welcome Room
Hosted by the Membership team, the New Attendee Welcome Room is reserved for you! Whether you're a new member or finally attending your first Annual Meeting, this room is your go-to location for questions about your schedule or membership, and provides a quiet respite between sessions.
Other first time attendees, volunteers, and the AOM Membership staff will be available to greet you, so be sure to stop by and say hello! We look forward to seeing you there.
New Member Orientation
The New Member Orientation will be held on Thursday, 4 August as a virtual-only session. This is an opportunity to learn more about your Academy of Management membership benefits. Look for it in the Annual Meeting Program when it becomes available in June!
Note: This is a separate event from your Division and Interest Group welcoming events.
Must-Add Events for First Time Attendees
- The Exhibit Hall - open from Friday evening, 5 August through Monday, 8 August
- All-Academy Networking Breakfast & Awards Ceremony - Sunday morning, 7 August
- All-Academy Reception - Sunday evening, 7 August
- New Member Orientation - held as a Virtual session on Thursday, 4 August
AOM 2022 Key Dates
- 28 June:
Annual Meeting Program available
- 5-9 August
Annual Meeting in Seattle, Washington, USA
- 4-10 August:
Annual Meeting on the Virtual Platform